Saturday, August 7, 2010

Letter to Leatherman Tool Group Inc.

I sent the following email to Leatherman Tool Group Inc. regarding their warranty repair service and a suggestion that I thought could make their warranty service better for some of their customers
Hi Leatherman!
I want to say you guys make excellent tools; they are among the best made pieces of equipment I've used.  I've used competitor's tools but Leatherman always comes out on top!  I've never had a tool last as long as my Leatherman wave!

I bought a S2 Juice model for daily carry a while back because I wanted something lighter and I must give you kudos for making a tool with all the tools I like to see on a Multitool in a lightweight basic package!

I did have a problem a while back where the back spacer popped out and it needed to be sent in for warranty service.  I am very grateful for the 25 year warranty; it's just long enough for any factory issues to come to light!  Now I contacted you guys and you gave me the address for Eastern Outdoor Sales and I sent it in for replacement.  I sent it off and then called after a couple weeks to find out how much longer it would be.  They informed me that they haven't got to it yet but through conversation I found out that the Juice line is replaced not repaired. 

I'd like to suggest a change to your procedure for warranty replacement tools.  It took about 3 weeks to get my new tool and I don't think that was necessary.  If my tool was being repaired I'd see the logic of using something like a cue to decide who's tool gets fixed next, that is only fair. (A cue like when you get put on hold calling your cable company where they get to you in the order of when the call was received) I don't think putting a tool that is by default replaced and not repaired into that cue just to get mailed out is a good practice.  Since the Juice line is replaced without any thought to it being repaired I'd think when the repair facility sees the Juice (or other models that may be replaced and not repaired) it would be nice to your customers just to mail out a new one upon arrival of the tool.  There really is no need for someone to wait 3 weeks to get a tool that is replaced and never even considered repairable.

I'd like to close with this, despite this little disagreement with your protocol I am committed to buying Leatherman tools in the future.  The very fact that I didn't have to go out and buy a new tool for $40+ dollars and instead just paid $6 in shipping is reason enough for me to stay committed to your excellent tools!

God bless you and thank you for your top notch tools!
--
Frazer

 
I'll be sure to post any follow up emails that they send me. I can't stress enough how Leatherman makes some of the best Multitool out there and I probably barring a major melt down in quality with never buy anything but Leatherman Multitools!

 
[What is your 2010 preparedness plan?]

 
Frazer,

 
Feel free to follow me on Twitter and check out my Youtube videos.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment